Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Enchiladas

There's a quote in Nichols' "One Day" that includes the word "enchilada" (but not "the whole enchilada") and I can't remember exactly what it was...it's driving me crazy!!!

Anyway, after seeing A's taco pics I was seriously craving tacos. But I refuse to pay $6 for ground turkey, so I ended up making enchiladas. Since I could only fit 8 in the baking dish, there was quite a bit of extra filling, which then of course ended up in my stomach while the enchiladas were baking... So now I haven't tasted my own enchiladas bc I'm too stuffed to even think about it!

On to the method:

In a big bowl, combine 1 can drained corn, 1 can drained diced tomatoes, 1 can drained & rinsed black beans, 1/2 can enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup salsa, 2 cups shredded chicken (cooked), and 1-2 tsp cumin. Spoon filling onto 6-8 tortillas, sprinkle shredded cheese (Mexican mix) over each, then roll and place in greased baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the rolls, then sprinkle w/ remaining cheese and bake uncovered at 375F for 20-25 min. Voila!






I think I was probably supposed to use a different type of tortilla, but then I wasn't sure when I bought them whether I'd be making tacos or enchiladas. Next time!

[UPDATE] The flour tortillas were fine -- YUM! I'm sure I could've sliced and diced and done everything freshly (including the "enchilada sauce"), but for a quick meal, this method definitely delivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment