Monday, September 5, 2011

Cantonese-style steamed eggplant

Today I ate an entire eggplant. By myself, lol. I also ate it so quickly that I never got a photo of it! But here's how it went down: I took this simple recipe (http://chinesefood.about.com/od/vegetablesrecipes/r/steamedeggplant.htm) and made it even simpler:

Ingredients:
1 eggplant (maybe 10"x5"?)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1 tsp light soy sauce or to taste
1/2 tsp sugar or to taste

Method:
Cut the eggplant into pieces (I did 4"x0.5") and place them in your steamer (I used the steaming tray of our rice cooker). Depending on your steamer, the timing may vary. I'll include an approximate cooktime next time I make it; this time it was slightly overcooked (thought still tasted great). Transfer eggplant to a big bowl. Whisk the remaining ingredients together and pour over the steamed eggplant in a big bowl, stirring to ensure the sugar dissolved.

Then, eat it all! YUM! :P

PS. Adding garlic would probably be more authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment