[modified from: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/cheesy-chicken-bacon-broccoli-and-rice.html#ixzz2Jzhkat8K]
1/2 cup long grain white rice
4 slices turkey bacon, diced
6 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced
garlic salt and pepper
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
6 oz broccoli florets (we used frozen, but fresh would be about 2 cups)
1 (10oz) can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles (we used mild; in future will use plain diced tomatoes)
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup chicken broth or dissolved bouillon
1/2 cup shredded taco blend cheese (extra sharp cheddar works even better)
1. Cook rice per your usual method.
2. Cook bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove to a plate.
3. Season chicken generously on both sides with salt and pepper. If needed, add oil to skillet. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for five minutes, flipping once halfway through. Remove the chicken to the plate with the bacon.
3. Cook onion and broccoli over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until broccoli is tender and onions are brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Top with tomatoes, rice, chicken and bacon and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
4. Melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in the flour until just combined. Add chicken broth and stir well. Increase heat to high and cook until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted, add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pour sauce over chicken and rice. Stir to combine and serve.