Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Overnight Oats

Lately I've been having Fage 0% with a drizzle of honey or agave and a sprinkling of pumpkin flax granola, which is lovely and a breakfast I look forward to each morning. Unfortunately, I ran out of Fage this weekend (ahh! crisis!), so we picked up a container of Chobani (plain, non fat).

As it turns out, I really prefer Fage 0%...the texture, the taste, the price (it's cheapest at Costco, I've found). So what was I going to do with a huge, brand-new container of Chobani?!

I keep coming across this concept of 'overnight oats' and decided to give it a try. It's pretty much equal parts milk, Greek yogurt, old fashioned rolled oats, fruit, and some kind of sweetener all tossed together and left in the fridge overnight (consumed chilled). Then, you can go to town with the add-ins, kind of like at Pinkberry or Red Mango except with your oatmeal (and depending on how healthy you want it to be!).

I used 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup 1% milk (in the future I will use soy milk), 1/4 cup non-fat plain Chobani, 1/4 cup diced mango, and light agave to taste -- maybe 1-2 tsp. (Note: this works out to roughly 200 calories). I dumped everything into a jar, stirred it up, put on the lid, and left it in the fridge overnight. Maybe I added a little too much sweetener (tasted absolutely decadent comparative to the rest of my diet. I've been spoiled this morning!), but this overnight oats recipe tasted just like a mango smoothie or a mango lassi (plus oatmeal)! Probably would be excellent as a snack on hot summer days, too.

I don't have photos this time around, but you can check out some awesome add-in variations here:

Theyummylife.com
Katheats.com

A lot of people swear by adding Chia seeds. I would have, except that a little bag cost $12 at Whole Foods. I'll be looking for a cheaper bulk variety to give this supposed 'superfood' a try.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment